An Orange Sky in July



One thing I did not expect to add to my summer bucket list was experiencing wildfire smoke in Canada.

I'm currently visiting my grandparents in Canada, and yesterday I walked outside and immediately thought something looked off. The sky had this eerie orange haze over everything, and the air quality was terrible because of the wildfires burning in Northern Ontario. It honestly felt like I had stepped into a movie scene. I've lived through hurricanes in Florida, but I've never experienced anything quite like this.

Of course, the first thing I did was grab my phone. Within minutes, I was down the rabbit hole, checking air quality indexes, wildfire maps, news articles, and smoke forecasts. It made me realize how much technology shapes the way we experience current events. Instead of wondering why the sky was orange, I learned where the smoke was coming from, how far it had traveled, and what precautions we should take.

It's easy to think of technology as something we only use for school, work, or social media, but moments like this remind me that it's also one of our greatest learning tools. Yesterday, technology helped me understand a real-world event that was literally right outside my grandparents' front door. Not every lesson comes from a classroom; sometimes it comes from an orange sky and a quick Google search.

https://www.iqair.com/newsroom/wildfire-map-spotlight-northwestern-ontario-wildfires-canada

https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/wildfires-northern-ontario-bring-worlds-worst-air-quality-toronto-2026-07-15/

Comments

  1. Hi Hannah! That must've been quite scary to experience. I am ashamed to say this is my first time hearing about this. Technology can be a truly educational tool for real-life. I am hoping things clear up soon and you are able to enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts